How to find us
GPS: S29˚50’35.3” E28˚02’36.4”
A couple of hills, a couple of bends – Semonkong Lodge is where the road ends! We recommend your more rugged 2-wheel drive family sedan with height clearance. The road to Semonkong via Maseru or Qacha’s Nek is now tarred the entire way. The last few kilometres down to the Lodge is gravel road and there have been no problems with 2-wheel drive vehicles coming down the hill. Maseru to Semonkong or Qacha’s Nek to Semonkong is only 130 kms BUT A 3 HOUR DRIVE! It is advisable to fill up with fuel before departing either town. Distances in Lesotho must be judged by time & not kilometers.
For the more adventurous catch the local Semonkong bus daily from Maseru Central Bus Station. There are also many mini-bus taxis on the route and from Qacha’s Nek too.
Directions to Semonkong Lodge
- Directions from Maseru Border Post: ± 130 kms
- Drive for 1 km, turn right at traffic lights to Mohale/Mafeteng. Drive for 2 kms turn right at traffic circle. Follow this road/bypass for ± 19 kms, turn right at T-junction. Drive ± 2 kms further, turn left to Mohale/Roma. You will pass an Exell garage on the left-hand side – the last stop for unleaded petrol. Continue through Roma, past Ramabanta & on to Semonkong. Cross the bridge & continue for approximately 2kms. As you go down the hill take the 1st right turn (you will see the first billboard on your right). At the bus stop/taxi rank (2nd billboard), turn right, you will pass a soccer field on your left & as you pass the white building (Sportman’s Bar) on your right, turn right again & continue to the end of the road. (From the bridge to the Lodge is ± 3.9 kms.)
- From Durban – KZN Option 1: ± 750 kms
- N3 to Escort, R74 to Winterton, Bergville, Olivier’s Hoek Pass, Sterkfontein Dam, R712 to Qwaqwa, Golden Gate National Park, Clarens, Fouriesburg, Ficksburg, Ladybrand, Maseru, Roma, Ramabanta, Semonkong.
- From Durban – KZN Option 2: ± 500 kms
N2 to Port Shepstone, N2 to Kokstad, R56 to Matatiele then to Qacha’s Nek Border Post. From Qacha’s Nek Border Post follow the road along the Senqu River for approximately 62kms & shortly after the village of Ha Mosi you will turn right to Semonkong.
GPS Coordinates: S 30 03’ 103” E 28 17, 055”
From the turnoff (after Ha Mosi) to Semonkong it is approximately 59kms which will take you about 2 hours of driving time. Once in Semonkong, directly opposite the Airstrip building (red & white) take the 1st left turn (Pep Stores will be in front of you) turn right & approximately 100m further turn left at the bus stop/taxi rank (big billboard), you will pass a soccer field on your left & as you pass the white building (Sportman’s Bar) on your right, turn right again & continue to the end of the road.
- From JHB – OPTION 1: ± 650 kms
- N1 to Kroonstad, R76 to Steynsrus, Senekal, Marquard, Clocolan, Ladybrand, Maseru, Roma, Ramabanta, Semonkong.
- From JHB – OPTION 2: ± 650 kms
- N3 to Villiers, take R26 to Frankfort (just before the Villiers tollgate) & continue to Bethlehem, Fouriesburg, Ficksburg, Clocolan, Ladybrand, Maseru, Roma, Ramabanta, Semonkong.
- From CT: ± 1100 kms
- N1 to Colesberg, R701 to Smithfield, Wepener, Hobhouse, Maseru, Roma, Ramabanta, Semonkong.
Approximate travelling (driving) times:
Roma to Semonkong Lodge 2-3 hours
Semonkong Lodge to Malealea 4-5 hours
Semonkong to Katse Dam 6-7 hours
Semonkong to Qacha’s Nek 3 hours