How to find us
GPS: S29˚50’35.3” E28˚02’36.4”
A couple of hills, a couple of bends – Semonkong Lodge is where the road ends! We recommend your more rugged 2-wheel drive family sedan with height clearance. There is 65kms of rough gravel road.
Maseru to Semonkong is only 130 kms BUT A 3 HOUR DRIVE! It is advisable to fill up with fuel before departing Maseru. Distances in Lesotho must be judged by time and not kilometres!
For the more adventurous catch the local Semonkong bus daily from Maseru Central Bus Station.
Directions to Semonkong Lodge
- Directions from Maseru Border Post: ± 130 kms
- Drive for 1 km, turn right at traffic lights to Mohale/Mafeteng. Drive for 2 kms turn right at traffic circle. Follow this road/bypass for ± 19 kms, turn right at T-junction. Drive ± 2 kms further, turn left to Mohale/Roma. You will pass a Total Garage on your right (on the corner) & an Exell garage on the left-hand side further down the road – the last stop for unleaded petrol. Continue for ± 17.5 kms through Roma & on to Semonkong. Cross the weir / bridge driving 2.7 kms to the town centre. From here turn right at the Taxi Rank/Bus stop, you will pass a soccer field on your left & as you pass the white building (Sportman’s Bar) on your right, turn right again & continue to the end of the road. (From the weir/bridge to the Lodge is ± 3.9 kms.)
- From Durban – KZN Option 1: ± 750 kms
- N3 to Escort, R74 to Winterton, Bergville, Olivier’s Hoek Pass, Sterkfontein Dam, R712 to Qwaqwa, Golden Gate National Park, Clarens, Fouriesburg, Ficksburg, Ladybrand, Maseru, Roma, Ramabanta, Semonkong.
- From Durban – KZN Option 2: ± 500 kms
- (Currently under construction – project ending end of 2014).
N2 to Port Shepstone, N2 to Kokstad, R56 to Matatiele then to Qacha’s Nek Border Post. From here follow the road along the Senqu River for approximately 62kms & shortly after the village of Ha Mosi (signposted) you will turn right (not signposted). GPS Coordinates: S 30 03.103 & E 28 17. 055. You will cross both the Senqu & Senqunyane Rivers. From the turnoff to Semonkong it is approximately 59kms which will take you about 2 hours of driving time.
- From JHB – OPTION 1: ± 650 kms
- N1 to Kroonstad, R76 to Steynsrus, Senekal, Marquard, Clocolan, Ladybrand, Maseru, Roma, Ramabanta, Semonkong.
- From JHB – OPTION 2: ± 650 kms
- N3 to Villiers, take R26 to Frankfort (just before the Villiers tollgate) & continue to Bethlehem, Fouriesburg, Ficksburg, Clocolan, Ladybrand, Maseru, Roma, Ramabanta, Semonkong.
- From CT: ± 1100 kms
- N1 to Colesberg, R701 to Smithfield, Wepener, Hobhouse, Maseru, Roma, Ramabanta, Semonkong.